Sunday, May 1, 2011

My photographic equipments

I work mostly out of my studio lately. Can't beat the comfortable, full blasting aircond at your face while you try to direct a shoot, be it toddler, family or model portfolio. And to have all your equipment displayed nicely on a shelf at arms reach are unbeatable.


But from time to time, jobs requires offsite shoots. That's when the back breaking hauling of our studio equipment to the site drains me. Often, forgetting the smallest item, example a flash trigger, or the special power cable for the flash could render the equipment useless.

So I've developed a few rules that would minimize hassle:


1. Flash for my camera - Use equipment that's field replaceable, example, instead of a studio strobe with power pack, go for the speedlights. It only needs 4 pcs of AA batt, which u can get anywhere in the world.


2. Portable printer. I prefer the Selphy 4R printer range. The size of the printer is key! I can pack this into my luggage and since it's a dye-sub printer, no spilled ink to worry about. The paper and color ribbon comes in a pack, and again no worry about refilling ink or various ink cartridges. If I ever runs out of ink in the middle of a shoot, I just have to run out to any camera store to get supplies.
This printer even runs on battery, so this gives me option when I really need it.

3. Underwater camera. I got a friend who's twin baby knows how to hold their breath underwater!! When I know about it, I got to record it, but to waterproof my current gear, it would require thousands of Ringgit. Solved that with the GoPro camera, waterproof n shockproof right out of the box for less than RM2k.

4. "Swiss Army Knife" kind of smart phone. As a travelling photographer, we are required to be on the road quite often. But to promote our services, we can now put our work on social networks and blog. To reply our customer in a timely manner calls for us to be able to access our FB, Twitter, Blog, email and MSN wherever and whenever.
To solve this, I stand by my iPhone4(with travelling charger). With the host of apps available, I can reply to all customer inquiry wherever I am.
The phone can even be a microphone, when our DJ's microphone ran out of battery in the middle of a show!
The list expands over time, as I face with new challenges that requires new solutions. If you are interested to find out more about how I use the above for my job, do leave a reply here.
Or if you have some problem that can't seem to solve, you can also put it up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment